Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chair & Entry Table Re-Do

OK, here is a rando (not random, haha RANDO!) project that i had NO INTENTIONS of doing... I literally walked into a local thrift store to donate the junk in my trunk (haaa) leftover from the yard sale... I browsed around (always for lamps and mirrors) and saw this chair. I immediately loved the frame thinking i could do something with it. I ran it to the front like there was honestly some chance someone would want it while i finished looking around... hahaha

I bought it for $12 and took it home.


the entry table- Ordy bought it from an antique store on his lunch break (SO CUTE how he thinks of me!! ughhh i love him) haha and he scored it after some negotiation for $15 i think, i loved it! i needed something by my door because if you have ever been to my house you know the first 6 steps are covered in mail and magazines.... so i needed something to toss my mail on (and keys) and the drawer is so convenient! I knew i wanted to paint it, i just didn't know if i wanted to go DARK chocolate brown or white hahaha- if you know me, you also know i am obsessed with white furniture. i just feel like it makes it bigger and less noticeable.

$12

ignore the mess!

ugh the process begins!
With a little {ok, a lot} of help with my little friends:




of all the things my dad has left at my house the staple gun has been my fav
Just staple the fabric over the existing OR take off. I like the extra cushion

checking to see if centered
After i did my first coat on the entry table, I pulled out the drawer and saw a signature on the bottom- it was kind of a sick feeling in my stomach for 3 seconds like, "oh. no. what great treasure/antique have you ruined with $8 paint sheila" and i had flashbacks of the Antique Road Show and imagined me being on it, "well, this UNTAINTED would have been worth millions, there were only 3 made and your before pictures show it was in great condition... now it's worth nothing..." but let's just hope the previous owner just liked signing his stuff??




done for now until other changes


The entry table is NOT finished!! this is just the MIDWAY point, check later to see how i'm going to "charm" it up a bit... haha


i lovvvve it!


i think it belongs here :)
Unfortunately, I think if i leave it there- it will be under a mountain of clothes being so close to the closet (like the laundry hamper IN my closet is NEVER used... just clothes mound on TOP- i can't remember the last time i opened the hamper in the closet... the lid serves as a stool for clothes!)


So to sum it up, all you have to do for a cute chair (and entry table)

  1. Find an affordable chair with potential
  2. Get out your trusted painting tools {my fav Purdy paintbrushes! the XL cub is the best for corners like this chair had! Their 6 in 1 prep and paint is awesome too}, and choose your paint
  3. Paint the chair
  4. Staple the new fabric over the old on the cushion part
  5. Put together
  6. ENJOY! Either stare at it or sit on it... either way, the chair is pretty darn cute!



linking up here:
Photobucket

 Purdy Awesome party

 Pretty in Paint



DIY Club


linking up to these awesome blogs- check them out!

11 comments:

  1. that is so cute! i love the fabric you used on the seat- where is it from? please don't forget to add a link or the button back to my blog- thanks!
    great job and thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you were too fast for me, haha I tried linking but the internet went out and it had to be saved as a post to refresh later :)

    the fabric is from Ikea. 3.99 or so a yard and super thick and nice quality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a great looking chair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those pieces! I buy Ikea fabric a lot. You're right, the quality is great!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies!!! After seeing the millions of chair redos in blogland I was discouraged!! 1- i feel like i paid too much for the chair (I feel like everyone out there gets their stuff for free-dirt cheap) and 2- chose a patterned fabric without thinking about lining it up perfectly- so unforgiving! You guys have made me fall back in love with it :) I guess I will take the pile of clean laundry off of it to stare at again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all three pieces shown here. Great job. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great save! I love those purdy paintbrushes too! Beautiful chair.
    Holly
    504 Main
    DIY Club

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled across your blog and absolutely LOVE it! You and your hubs are too cute, and I'm inspired by your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving your blog. You will have to laugh, I bought that grey fabric from Ikea for $1.99 and I just covered a bench in it. I will be posting it tomorrow. Oh, and your curtains...I bought them too, but used the fabric for a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. why would I laugh?!! 1) i had your header 2) I SAW said pillow on your crafty little bench 3) we are just blog soul sisters! hahaha

    ReplyDelete