Monday, August 22, 2011

Bandit's Blessing

Before I mislead you... Bandit is still missing. We didn't find him this weekend... but we did find something else... and because of Bandit. Get ready, because here is a crazy story...

2 months ago we got a call from an elderly woman that she spotted Bandit... She was 100% sure it was him, she was outside washing her bicycle and said he came SO close to her she could have grabbed him. She said he was so gentle, just stood next to her watching her, but his size startled her and she got up and shooed him away with her broom... I guess I can't blame her because she is older and if a great dane/pit bull was just staring at me I might be scared too... I am sad though. She said she regret it later when she saw how mild mannered he was. She called me after she spotted a flier two days later... I misunderstood her and HAULED AAA to her house to scan the neighborhood- along with 6 other people... She said she felt bad to break it to me that the spotting was two days prior.

Her husband told me their property backed up to 40 acres of "dog haven" and that a lot of lost dogs hang out back their because of the creek, running field, and railroad tracks. He said the property was actually owned by HIS neighbor, who was a bed ridden 98 year old woman who wouldn't notice if we wanted to sneak back in the property to scan the field for our lost pup. Remember pictures of the gorgeous property here

At the time, I was too busy boo-hooing and sobbing over Bandit to even notice how gorgeous the property was. In fact, I was miserable. I was eaten by mosquitoes and cut up by all the brier, not to mention scanning the property feverishly for my dog- all while screaming his name. Fast forward two months.

I had a dream Thursday. In this dream, Ordy and I were getting married on this property. In the dream I saw all of my ideas and I woke up ecstatic. I was so excited my emails to Ordy were almost incomprehensible... I was giddy and I said, "THIS IS IT. THIS IS WHERE WE ARE GETTING MARRIED." I had to refresh his memory and remind him about the property. I said, "the 40 acres we searched for B! Remember??!" Vaguely. You see, we both were pretty caught up in the search.

Ordy and I made it our mission to go ask the kind elderly couple if they wouldn't mind putting in the request to their neighbor, the lady who actually owned the property. We knew they had a better relationship with her and it might help us if they asked her if "friends" of theirs could get married on her property, vs. some random kids who might have a drunken party on her property...

We went up there this Saturday afternoon and the gentleman remembered us immediately, he asked if we had found our dog... we let him know we didn't, but we were there to see if he wouldn't mind putting in the good word about possibly getting married in the field...

He said, "I have good news and maybe bad news..." We held our breaths, I had no clue what he was about to tell us. "The lady who owns the property died two nights ago. But her daughter and her husband are here settling up final affairs." WHAT?! Wait, what?! SO the lady passed away the night I had the dream?? Goosebumps. Creepy. Too weird.

We hesitated for a few moments whether or not we should bother the daughter in this time of mourning to hassle her with our proposition, but the fact that they were leaving in the morning to go back home to Florida made me want to at least leave my contact information and put a face to the proposal, I wanted them to at least meet Ordy and I.

I was so nervous, I pushed Ordy to the front of their door and whispered, "YOU'RE doing all the talking!!" He just gave me a look and rolled his eyes. "Chicken." He knocked on the door and I felt my stomach fall. But the moment that door opened and a smiling lady opened the door, my heart was at ease. I could just see in her kind face we could pitch our idea to her. I was expecting someone bawling with tissues wadded up in their hands and feeling like a jerk for even knocking. I was relieved.

Ordy did all of the talking, I found myself reinforcing stuff like, "I PROMISE we'll clean up afterward, and leave it better than we found it!" I saw the husband chuckle in the corner of the kitchen. The daughter was just grinning ear to ear. After we were done with the proposal, the husband was still laughing and the lady finally spoke, "OF COURSE you can get married there!!!! But are you SURE?!??! It's been abandoned for years!!!! You have to do so much to it!!!" That's when Ordy said the term, "bush hog" for the first time in my life (and I heard it many more times after that)- telling them he'd bring out a tractor and level it and promise not to have any cars park on the property. The husband finally spoke (while still laughing, almost in disbelief that anyone would want to get married back there), "listen, if you do ANYTHING back there, you'd be improving it... y'all need to get back there and make sure you want to do it there..."

Are you kidding? Of course we want it there! It's GORGEOUS and would be the perfect backdrop for my "backyard wedding" concept!!! We exchanged contact information and we talked for a few more minutes regarding logistics, and it was apparent they could care less what we did- in fact the husband suggested a fun bonfire. Um, hello perfect wedding. I was so happy I hugged the lady and squeezed her with glee. The couple was so sweet and perplexed why we would want to get married there, but you could tell they were just happy to make our day in such a way! I bet they never expected that question when we knocked on their door!

They told us to consider the property ours for the wedding and to feel free to go back there whenever for planning. Ordy told him plans for bush-hogging and the husband said, "good luck..." Ordy said, "that's hard work I enjoy doing, sir. It'll be worth it." I think they're happy we're even doing anything there, mostly the clearing out of 10 years worth of growth. This was such a blessing I can't even put to words, but I just tried. Thank you Bandit, in some way leading us there. All that would make it perfect is for you to show up for the wedding. I swear I would mess up my dress for you, I would scoop you up in my arms and never let go... Thank you for our blessing and for our wedding venue. We couldn't have found a better place with better people. You are the best dog even while away- good looking out :) {Really, I'm thanking Jesus, don't think I'm thanking a dog- but through Bandit we found the place!}

Here are some pictures, I know you want to see! Please imagine the grass cut down and a lot of work done...













What do you think, think we're crazy?? Too much work?? Um, any help as far as practically making this work are welcome... I hope my guests don't hate me... But, I'm truly in love!





 




19 comments:

  1. That is amazing!!! I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to see your decor and how beautiful everything looks on your special day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! You'll have a great wedding there--the back story is a tear-jerker. I so desperately want you to find Bandit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies, i'm nervous and excited- and hopeful that bandit will come home before the wedding :) i tear up when i read comments that people want him home as bad as I do! it's great, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes! This is the perfect venue and it means so much that Bandit helped you find it! It is so you guys--your wedding will be gorgeous!

    Happy for you!
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a story! That will be hard work, but worth it!! I know you will make it amazing!! I hope bandit makes a grand entrance soon, I really can't believe it's been this long! Miss your postings!! Think about you often xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. that place is beautiful! i will be perfect for your simplistic wedding! can't wait to see how you decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! And the land is gorgeous!! I can totally picture it! This is going to be so unique and special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love it!! Love it!! I am still so sad about bandit though. :( I will pray that he'll show up for the wedding if not sooner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! I love it! And it seems perfect for the theme y'all are going for! Isn't it a relief to start getting all your ducks in a row? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are amazing and I might be a lotta bit jealous!! For months CSB and I have joked about asking random people to have a wedding on their property, LOL. Seriously, amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story, and awesome place to get married!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, It'll be amazing! That old barn surrounded by wild flowers, It'll be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I can't wait to see it all come together! And, how cool would it be if your sweet dog showed up during the wedding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! So perfect for you, I can definitely visualize all the things you have on your list of wedding desires unfolding perfectly. Good luck with all the hard work and DIY, it will be completely worth it!

    I still send up hopes and prayers for Bandit every day. I simply do not believe that he will be missing forever. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. okay no... I LOVE THISSSSSS! And I hope you find bandit soon... also, I got that map from Urban Outfitters in their apartment section! You can get it online :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, I desperately want you to find bandit! I wish I could help!
    Second, that is fantastic property! Perfect for a wedding! Maybe Bandit knows what he's doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That just gave me goosebumps! What a beautiful place for an out door wedding! That wood barn? in the background.... AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful story. You are getting married in the perfect place....best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous venue! I am so jealous, hehe! We have almost no barns in southern CA and the ones that we do have are ridiculously expensive! You're wedding is going to be gorgeous and I don't think you're crazy at all. Sure it'll be a lot of work, but you'll also get to make it your own! XOXO

    ReplyDelete