Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Porfavor No Molestar...








This is what defines my day today... I'll explain. This morning I woke up at 7 a.m. to accompany Ordy to breakfast before he went to work. No big deal, I figured I would eat then head back to the room to nap before a little sight seeing. Well, I realized that Ordy Boy was genuinely nervous about me going out and venturing. He knew I would be alert, he just worried if anything happened. The biggest concern was that neither one of us had phone service. I figured we could e-mail each other throughout the course of the day while he was working. Anyhow, Ordy had a point. I really shouldn't be alone venturing with my big camera, and risk getting lost. The fact that the sun set at 10:30 p.m. made me feel like I still had 4 hours after he got off to go sight seeing. Long story short, after breakfast I figured I would take a loooong nap to kill time and just wait in the hotel room reading while he got back. He said he didn't want me to feel like a prisoner in the room- and I definitely didn't, because I chose to be in there- but it was crazy thinking I'm in Paris- but in a hotel room!

So, at 8:15 a.m. I hung the "Please do not disturb" sign on the front door so the cleaning ladies wouldn't disturb my slumber. The door tag had it in about 9 different languages, but my favorite translation was, "Porfavor no molestar"... and let me tell you, disturb they did NOT. I slept for (I'm embarrassed to admit this...) 7 hours. I woke up at 3 p.m. and was surprised/horrified/embarrassed/amused/happy. Happy that I only had 3 more hours to wait for Ordy Boy. I couldn't believe how much I slept!!! I woke up and decided that I would try to find a local grocer to buy water for the week. It's about $7 to get water at the restaurant, and being in the room all day I figured I should have a supply of it readily available. So, I showered and went down to the street and the busy square around 3:30. I walked to the local pharmacy because I forgot my deodorant (or can't find it in the mess of my luggage) and am tired of smelling like Old Spice "Swagger". When I walked in, it was so small and I was the only person and seriously had a minor panic attack. NOTHING looked like CVS. I found myself trying to read lables because it seemed like everything was in a generic sized box covered with French writing- no pictures. I was paranoid that I was trying to look for deodorant but intently trying to decipher a box of suppositories! Nothing looked like it would in a normal drug store. I couldn't even find chapstick. Too bad I didn't need Listerine, because that was the ONLY thing out of a box and easily identifiable. I wouldn't mind taking my time searching, only it was a small store and I felt three men pharmacists staring at my every move. I finally waited until another customer walked in, while I safely stood by the listerine display, then made my escape.

I guess the most traumatic part of the whole experience was that I never took a day of French growing up. I took 4 years of Spanish. While I've been to Paris before, I don't know why it just occurred to me, I'm that American... I know most people understand and are more than willing to work with you... but it still bothered me that I didn't even have a book in my hand to show effort. All I could say is, "merci" and that's only because it's the same way to say, "thank you" in my own language! I get by in Spain, even in Portugal, Brazil, and Italy... I remember having this mini panic attack in Sweden, when I couldn't even tell which sign said "Exit"... I feel like I should've at least attempted to brush up on some French, but then there's a part of me that is like, 'are you kidding? why would they want you butchering their beautiful language??'... so I'm definitely torn. Oh well, needless to say after the ordeal, I walked back to the hotel at 4:20 p.m. and read a book in bed until I fell asleep...again... until 6:20p.m. when Ordy Boy got back. So... yes, I have been up a total of 4 hours all day today... it's 9:15 p.m. Call me pathetic!!!












Ordy and I were hungry so we walked to the local shops and cafes before we settled on a cute Italian restaurant for Pizza. We walk around the city and noticed all the shops (even big name Lacoste, H&M, etc) closed at 7 p.m. We walked the pizza off just enjoying the beautiful city and the weather until we got back to the hotel, where I am typing this and he is already snoozing... Let's just blame this on jet lag...k?

3 comments:

  1. Man, that's a lot of sleep. I hear that Parisians are NOT nice about having to speak English, but don't mind you so much in Spanish. Sounds crazy, I know. But I hope it could help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I don't know why the pharmacy story made me laugh so hard! I took two years of french in high school... I'd still be screwed haha! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Tonight, I caught myself stuck explaining i wanted lemon with my water, and my water with 'gas' aka sparkling and caught myself saying "con gas" and stuff, and the server would just say it back. He must have been used to Spaniards hahaha so that makes sense!

    Leslie, you would have died laughing if you could only experience and witness the minor panic attack I had!

    ReplyDelete