Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Rainy Day in Paris

Beats a sunny day in America... to be 100% honest... hate to break it to ya, but even an ugly day here is pretty. Ordy Boy got back from work around 6:30 with evening plans to walk towards the Champs Elysees. Ordy walked in with a handful of beautiful hot pink gerber daisies, in the cutest packaging, like only in the movies. He had an old fashioned lemonade bottle for me to use as a vase, only the neck was too skinny for all my flowers. I loved them. They were soooo pretty!!! Even in France, Ordy didn't forget Wednesday Flower Day!





I could sense rain and even came back to the hotel to grab my rain jacket- but like an idiot ignored my instinct. I was in a dress and flip flops, and by the end of the day would have loved to have been in a hoodie and sweats instead! Who am I kidding, I didn't even pack such articles of clothing- my entire PINK collection stayed in Atlanta haha. It was about 68 degrees this evening, it truly was gorgeous. It started to rain and we took cover in a Metro station. Once the rain stopped for a little, we made our way towards the Champs Elysees. They were setting up for the tour de France that will go through the 25th, and we made our way down the gardens while stopping for a Nutella Banana Crepe (of course). All this good food is counterproductive to my miles of walking and burning calories!




The shops down the strip were as amazing as I remembered them. I saw my dad's favorite store, Massimo Dutti, and browsed through Zara. I love the style and remembered my dad always telling me when traveling to get "classic" staples of the country your visiting. Good leather, great shoes/riding boots, purses, etc.



He also said Europe is always 2 years ahead of the U.S. I hate when he's right. 2 years ago my dad brought back some patent leather "Oxford shoes"



and I laughed in his face. I told him I'd never wear them, nor did I ever foresee them being fashionable. It was way too much of a stretch. He made me make a bet, and I don't remember the bet, but all I remember is... I lost. They're everywhere- and exactly 2 years later. I'm not saying everyone is wearing them, but you definitely see them more now. In ads, in store, catalogues, etc. Mostly trendsetters, which I am not. So, I have a pair that are just sitting in my closet- for the past two years. (I might've worn the brown suede/leather ones... maybe). Style Alert/Scare: The trend here is *drumroll* Hammer Pants! how disgusting!!!



After browsing the shops, we finally ended up in front of the Arc de Triomphe, and even though I've seen it before, it STILL took my breath away! It was stunning. It was ginormous. The rain cleared and the sun was coming through in the most beautiful way.







We took the Metro back to the hotel and had dinner.





It's midnight here and I'm wide awake, while D has been snoozing since 10. Wish I got used to the time! Maybe if I didn't sleep so much during the day... Maybe I'll do better tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are sharing your adventure with us. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete